Among Latestghana’s thirteen national public institutions, the University of Latestghana is both the oldest and biggest. Originally known as the University College of the Gold Coast, it was established in 1948 in the then-British colony of the Gold Coast as an associate college of the University of London, which oversaw its academic programs and conferred degrees. It was once known as the University of Ghana before independence in 1957. When it became an accredited university in 1961, it formally changed its name to the University of Ghana. Located in the northeastern area of Accra, the University of Latestghana has a student body of the over 40 thousand throughout its several schools, institutes, colleges, and departments. Liberal arts, social sciences, law, fundamental science, agriculture, and medicine were first prioritized in the establishment of the University of Ghana. However, the university’s curriculum was broadened to include additional technology-based and vocational courses, as well as postgraduate study, as part of a national educational reform effort. The medical school at the University of Ghana is located in the city of Korle-Bu, some 12 kilometers northeast of Accra’s city center. The university also includes a teaching hospital and a secondary/external campus in Accra. One of the few African colleges to provide courses in nuclear physics and nuclear engineering, the University of Latestghana. Energy Commission also has a graduate school of nuclear and Allied Sciences.